Beautiful French Silver Table Centerpiece By Limousin & Souche


A Beautiful French Silver and Cobalt Crystal Table Center Piece by Limousin & Souche!

Called in French a Surtout, this incredible piece consists of a Jardinière and its matching ‘Dormant’ or plateau.
The ‘Jardinière’, or center table if you would rather, was used in a variety of ways in order to embellish the table, by either setting flowers or fruits or other items that could enhance the set up.

I use mine during dinners with Peonies or spray roses or greener arrangements as pictured here! But you can use it in many other ways: to present fruits of course or sweets, to present caviar (with a second crystal insert), or simply to decorate with a free-standing candle in the middle of the table – The candles will bring out the cobalt blue of the crystal to an amazing effect!
This particular piece, which is quite unique because of its four lobbed or quatrefoil shape, shows a lovely cut out work on the gallery which holds the cobalt blue crystal insert. Pictured are delicate designs of acanthus leaves, floral scrolls and geometric designs.
The lower edge shows an egg and dart pattern.
The Jardinière rests on 4 spin top feet.

The Dormant shows the same lovely design of Egg and Dart on its side and the same feet.
Its center consists of a mirror which reflects the jardinière, while the bottom part of the dormant is made of mahogany wood.
The work is exquisite and the full effect striking. Filled with flowers it is absolutely incredible…

The cobalt blue insert is in good condition with no chips, and is original to the piece. The silver gallery is in perfect condition.
The measures given above are that of the complete piece.
The Jardinière itself measures: 12.40 inches long by 7.87 inches wide and 3.90 inches high with the crystal

The Hallmark is ‘Minerve’ 1 -1st title (950/1000) – 1838 -1919– Paris

The Makers Mark is for ‘Maîtres Orfèvres’ Limousin & Souche and shows an L and an S with an X separating the letters
Their mark was registered in 1905 and cancelled 1925.
Their workshop address was listed as 76 rue des Archives, in the Marais area of Paris.