Gorgeous Antique French Silver And Crystal Drageoir By Garreau


A Beautiful Antique French Silver and Crystal Drageoir by ‘Maitre Orfèvre’ Denis GARREAU.

In France we call them ‘Drageoir’ or ‘Confiturier’, but the only official name is a ‘Confiturier’ (Hence a Jam container), and we can confirm that originally they were only thought of, and used, as Ceremonial Sugar Bowls.

The theme of this Drageoir is based on Marital Faith and Love.
The body is Baluster shaped (or Medicis Vase Shaped) with large Palm fronds decorating it on two sides, while the two main Figural ‘Tableaux’ represent a Couple draped in Antique clothing kneeling on each side of an altar.
Their right hands are joined while the left hand (the hand of the heart) of the young man is raised above the flame topping the Altar as if taking it as testimony of his eternal love.

The Handles are decorated with palm designs and rosettes and are particularly beautiful with the top part finished by a lovely nesting pair of doves, which symbolized love.
The lower fringe of the piece shows geometric designs widely used by Garreau and Mignerot before him during the Empire Era.
The pedestal is square resting on four round pearls of silver and decorated with beautifully carved Acanthus leaves.
The ‘Frétel’ (or finial) is exquisite in the form of a Swan stretching his wings and resting on a nest.
The bowl insert is white crystal with ‘facettes’, it is original, and in Perfect shape, with no dents or marks.

This lovely piece is exceptional! A beautiful find!
The length given above is taken at the handles.

The Hallmark is ‘Tête De Vieillard’ (otherwise called Michael Ange Hallmark) -1st title (950/1000) – 1819 -1838- Paris

The Makers Mark is that of Denis GARREAU. It shows a D and a G topped by a ‘Navette’ (or boat) with a dot (reserve) underneath.
Garreau was the successor of Ambroise MIGNEROT and specialized in larger decorational pieces (called in French ‘Pieces De Forme’), particularly “Drageoir’s” and Oil and Vinegar Cruet stands. His mark was created in 1817. His offices were located at 62 Rue du Temple in what is today the Marais area of Paris.