Gorgeous Pair of Antique French Silver & Crystal Butter Dishes by ‘Maitres Orfèvres’ TETARD Frères.
We fell in love with this amazing pair of butter dishes! These pieces outline the refinement the table attained in the mid to late 1800s. The set consists of two silver bodies worked in a beautiful ‘repoussé’ style showcasing floral scrolls and rosettes in a ‘Bas relief’ line. The silver bodies protect a lovely crystal insert with a light décor on the upper part.
The covers of the dishes are very pure, topped by a finial in the form of a Raspberry resting on a crown of acanthus leaves. Both sport a monogram with the letter V.
The Crystal ‘Présentoirs’, or display dishes, on which the butter dishes are resting, are beautifully worked into a slightly dipping plate and are wheel cut in a star formation at the bottom. The edges of the dishes are circled with a lovely rim of silver, delicately carved with a geometric design.
The size of the butter dishes is quite impressive! If you should ask why, then consider that in the 18th/19th century the butter would be presented in the center or the dish and surrounded by cold water in order to keep it in perfect shape!
This pair is incredible, one of our most lovely finds!
It is absolutely impeccable, no dents, no marks, no scratches…just pristine!
Though originally intended for butter, the fact that it is a pair, gives it lots of potential: you can use one for butter and for Jam, or one for butter and one for condiment.
Another use would be putting a smaller glass or crystal insert in the dishes and adding crushed ice around it, for an absolutely amazing Caviar presentation….
The dimensions given above are for the Butter dishes themselves. The presentation plates are 6.6 inches in diameter.
The silver weight given above does not include the silver circle lining the presentation plates as it is not removable…
The Hallmark is Minerve 1 -1st title – Hence 1838 to 1919 – Paris
The Makers Mark is for TETARD Frères which was registered in 1903.
It shows a kettle with TF res underneath. On our pieces we also show the name written out.
TETARD Frères took over from Edmond Tétard. Their mark was registered in 1903.
They were located 4 rue Beranger at the limit of the Marais part of Paris.