A Lovely Louis XVI French Antique Silver and Crystal Condiment Set by Noël Neusecourt.
The Set is comprised of 2 Master Salt Cellars and 1 Mustard Pot.
Each piece shows an elegant cut out design intercepted by flower and leaves motifs on the gallery which holds the cobalt blue crystal insert.
The upper register of the mustard pot shows a dainty silver cord line. The center register of the pieces show a floral scroll topped medallion with a DC monogram.
The handle of the mustard pot is in the shape of Amphora handles, so called ‘A La Grecque’ separating in two pieces.
All three pieces rest on claw and ball silver feet.
The cobalt blue crystal inserts are in good condition.
The Mustard pot is 4.33 inches high and 3.93 inches wide at the handle
The salt cellars 3.07 inches long and 2.20 inches wide and 1.98 inches high.
As usual 18th Century French Silver gets our vote!
The Hallmarks are under the Fermiers Généraux era or Old Regime:
Photo # 6 shows a crowned P with a tiny 89 visible above the letter. The is the Poinçon de Jurande for Paris starting September 11th 1789 under Fermier Général Jean Francois Kalendrin, and was the last one registered right before the French Revolution went into overdrive…..
Interestingly Jean Francois Kalendrin refused to pick up his old charge when requested to do so in 1791 (though in a new format) and preferred to immigrate.
Photo # 7 Shows the Discharge Mark used between February 23rd 1789 and the start of the Revolution. Meaning the pieces would have been minted and taxes paid before the end of the year.
The pieces are also punched with the Mark for the Provinces for 1819, which means the initials might have been added at that time.
Photo # 8 is the Makers Mark is for ‘Maître Orfèvre’ Noël NEUSECOURT.
His mark was registered on July 14th 1783 and is topped by a crown, followed by a ‘Fleur De Lys’ dividing two ‘N’, the bottom showing a flower.
On the left-hand side can be seen the Charge Mark (giving you the right to mint) of an A surrounded by a a circle which was used starting February 23rd 1789.