Lovely and delicate Antique French Silver and Vermeil (18 carat gold coated) 13 piece Tea Service Set by ‘Maître Orfèvre’ Emile PUIFORCAT.
It is a lovely work of art and features 12 individual spoons and 1 pair of sugar tongs.
All pieces showcase the ‘Manche à La Russe’ or Russian Style handles, carved delicately with a Corinthian design. The handles end with an acanthus motif and a flower knob.
What makes the set so special is the fact that each spoon is beautifully engraved with a floral motif of bending reeds and rosettes.
All in all a perfect marvel of work!! The details are incredibly refined and delicate, just gorgeous.
The sugar tongs show the same handles ending in perfectly formed Lion’s paws.
The set is originally thought for tea service, but can be used as a coffee service set as well.
The set is in Silver and ‘Vermeil’ or 18 carat gold plated silver and is beautifully preserved, with no dents to the pieces or losses, just exquisite!
There is no wear to the vermeil which is very subtly applied.
The set is presented in its original box which is in beautiful condition with only very light wear marks.
The Hallmark is for ‘Small ‘Silver Objects’ done after 1838 and also shows a Minerva 1 Hallmark for Paris.
The Makers Mark is for Emile PUIFORCAT, and was registered in 1857; it features an E and a P separated by a standing feather.
The mark is still so famous it does deserve a bit more explanations:
Emile PUIFORCAT inherited the business from his uncle Jean Baptiste FUCHS who specialized in flatware in the early 1800s. Emile Puiforcat moved from the offices of his uncle right next door at number 18, then 16 of Rue Chapon. While he died in 1883, his mark was kept by his successor as well as his grandson Jean, who passed away in 1945.
Until the 1880 the House of Puiforcat remained in the flatware business, but expended into the larger pieces to include presentations plates and platters.
Though very praised for its craftsmanship PUIFORCAT never participated in the Fairs that did so much for the Silver business in the 1800. The house continued on through the years and was finally bought by Hermes in 1993.